Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
Source: River Cottage Veg Everyday, page 362
This is a seriously tasty meal, and jumped immediately onto my list of favourites. The recipe book says this makes enough for 4, but it was so tasty I only managed three servings!
- 2 onions
- 2 red, orange or yellow peppers
- 400g (about 2 large) courgettes
- 1 large aubergine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or sliced.
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Sprig of thyme
- Pinch of sugar
For the tomato sauce:
- Chop the onion into thick slices. Slice and dice the other vegetables into 2-3cm strips or cubes.
- Empty the vegetables into a roasting dish, season with salt and pepper, and add the oil. Toss to coat them all evenly. Roast at 190°C for 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Fry the garlic in the oil for a minute or so, without browning it.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme. Simmer gently (setting 3 on my back hob) for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are done. Season with salt, pepper and the sugar.
- When both are done, mix the sauce into the roast veg, and return to the oven for 10 minutes. Optionally, stir in fresh oregano or thyme, and serve with bread.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus