Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Source: Call me Cupcake
The amounts for the icing are extremely generous. The fairy cakes in the photo for this recipe used half quantities for the icing.
- 240 g flour
- 80 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 235 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 75 g butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150 ml buttermilk (or 50ml milk, 100g Greek yoghurt)
- 120 ml hot strong coffee (about 1 large tsp instant coffee powder)
For the cupcakes:
- 200 g dark chocolate 300 g butter, softened (but not melted)
- 280 g icing sugar 120 g cocoa powder
- 30 ml espresso, cooled.
- ½ tsp vanilla
For the icing:
For the cakes:
- Measure the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, butter, vanilla essence, buttermilk, and coffee. Whisk together to make a smooth batter.
- Place a very heaped tablespoon of batter each into 30 fairy cake wrappers.
- Bake at 160°C for 8 minutes, then turn around and continue to cook for another 4.
- Leave to cool before icing.
For the icing:
- Melt the chocolate, and allow to cool for as long as possible to avoid melting the butter.
- Whisk the butter with the icing sugar and cocoa powder to form a paste. Mix in the liquid chocolate, espresso and vanilla.
- Use a piping bag to decorate the cupcakes.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus