Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
Source: Family recipe
- 900g / 2lb stewing beef / braising steak
- 2 onions
- 2 large carrots
- red potatoes for four people
- 2 beef stock cubes' stock
- glug (to taste) Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (to taste) English mustard
- pinch of salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp mixed herbs
- Cut up the beef and the onions
- Add some oil to the saucepan and fry the onions and beef
- Make up the stock and add it into the saucepan, keeping it hot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring the stew to the boil, then turn down to a heavy simmer and leave to cook for one hour.
- Check the stew and add more water to it if required, then leave for another hour at least for the meat to tenderise.
- Make up dumplings and cook them in the saucepan for the final minutes of cooking.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus