Aloha breakfast pancakes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Source: Own recipe
I invented this recipe while staying on the island of Hawai'i, where apple bananas (a small, soft variety of banana) were plentiful. I had no eggs and figured mashed up bananas would substitute well. The result turned out to be delicious. They are roughly American-style; smaller ones might resemble UK crumpets. You can also use coconut alternative to milk for a vegan option, though I found regular semi-skimmed milk tasted better.
- 2 US cups (500ml / 350g) flour
- 3-4 apple bananas, or 2 regular bananas (about 180g), mashed.
- 2 tsp (approx) baking powder
- 1¾ US cups (400ml) milk (enough to top up your measuring jug to 4 cups / 1 litre)
- ~4 dozen frozen blueberries, optional
- Add the flour, bananas, baking powder and milk to a measuring jug, and mix thoroughly.
- Pour a quarter of the mix at a time into a large frying pan, add the blueberries if using, and dry fry on a medium heat until the mixture has solidified on top
- Flip over and brown on the second side.
- Serve hot with maple syrup or honey drizzled over.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus