Smokey Paprika Gumbo
Cooking time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Source: Own recipe
This is probably not a gumbo in the traditional sense, but has a wonderful flavour nonetheless. The smoked paprika really gives it a lovely edge.
- 150 g pearl barley
- 1 large onion, coarsely sliced
- 3 courgettes, sliced
- 300 g mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- ½ tube tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Cook the pearl barley as per the packet instructions (boil for 45 minutes).
- Meanwhile, fry the onions slowly in olive oil in a large casserole pot until soft and translucent.
- Add the courgettes and fry until they start to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until they soften.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, stock cubes, and paprika. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Drain the pearl barley, rinse under the tap to remove any starch, and add to the gumbo.
- Simmer for half an hour or until thickened.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus