Sausages and Mash with Onion Gravy
Cooking time: 40 minutes
This is a good warming winter meal; all my family loves it. Start boiling the potatoes for the mash before cooking the sausages, then while the sausages are cooking you will have time to mash the potatoes. You can then reheat it if necessary before serving.
- 4 large sausages
- 1 small or medium onion
- 30 g butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml hot beef stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- mashed potatoes
- Bake the sausages in the oven (or fry them). While they are cooking continue with the next steps.
- Thinly slice the onion into rings.
- Add the butter to the pan and heat gently until melted.
- Add the onion rings and cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly, until first they soften and turn translucent, and then start to brown.
- Sprinkle in the flour, lower the heat and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Add salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for another 10 minutes until thickened.
- Heap the mashed potatoes on warm plates and arrange the sausages on top. Spoon the gravy over and around and serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus