Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hours, 15 minutes
(Or 6 hungry people) This isn't a meal on its own; I'd suggest serving with some potatoes and veg on the side.
- 450 g / 1 lb lean minced beef
- 225 g / 8 oz minced pork or pork sausagemeat
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 fat clove garlic, crushed
- 2 slices white bread from a large loaf
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 level tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5.
- Put the minced beef in a large mixing bowl with the pork, onion, chopped pepper, tomato purée and garlic and give everything a thorough mixing, seasoning well with salt and freshly milled pepper.
- Cut the crust off the bread, soak it in the milk, and then squeeze the excess milk out of it and add it to the rest of the ingredients, along with the minced herbs and parsley. Give the mixture another thorough mixing, and finally stir in the beaten egg to bind it.
- Press the mixture into a 2 lb (900g) loaf tin, spreading evenly, then bake it in the oven for 1¼ hours. When it's cooked it will have shrunk and begun to come away from the sides of the tin. Allow it to get cold in the tin.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus