Macaroni and Cheese
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
The main problem with this recipe is getting the milk mix to not stick to the saucepan while it's bubbling. If the roux is too solid, add more butter before adding the milk to avoid it going lumpy.
- 175g strong cheddar, grated
- 300g macaroni
- 50g unsalted butter
- 40g plain flour
- 750ml milk, warm
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- ¼tsp cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)
- Optional - bacon (cooked) or parma ham
- Optional - 4 servings of cauliflower
- Boil the macaroni for 2 minutes less than what's mentioned on the packet. If you're adding the cauliflower, boil that now too.
- Grease a 22cm×22cm oven dish with butter.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour to make a roux.
- Add the milk into the roux gradually to form the sauce.
- Add the bay leaf.
- Boil the sauce briefly, then simmer for five minutes, stirring constantly to avoid having the mix stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, cheddar, bacon or parma ham, cauliflower and macaroni to the sauce, in that order.
- Empty into the oven dish and bake for 20 minutes at 200°C