Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Source: BBC Food
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 50g/20z button mushrooms
- 10g/ ½oz butter
- 400g/14oz cooked chicken, shredded
- 225g/8oz puff or flaky pastry (ready-made is fine)
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the sauce
- 25g/1oz butter
- 25g/1oz flour
- 150-200ml/6-7fl oz chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp double cream
- squeeze of lemon juice
- sprig of fresh tarragon
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Blanch the pepper for 2-3 minutes in a saucepan of boiling salted water, then drain, refresh in cold water and drain again.
- Wipe the mushrooms and cut into quarters. Sauté in the 10g/1/2oz butter for 2-3 minutes, then set aside.
- For the sauce, melt the 25g/1oz butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the flour and cook slowly over a low heat until the mixture is straw-coloured. Pour in the chicken stock, turn up the heat and stir constantly until simmering. Add the cream and reduce until the sauce has a syrupy consistency. Add the lemon juice and tarragon.
- Turn off the heat, add the chicken, peppers and mushrooms to the pan.
- Butter an ovenproof dish large enough to hold the chicken pie mixture with room to spare. Add the chicken mixture to the dish.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface, to a thickness of about 0.25in/1cm. Place the pastry over the filling and carefully trim the edges. Use the trimmings to make cut-out shapes to decorate the surface of the pie. Cut a couple of air holes with a knife to allow the steam to escape. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for about 25-35 minutes. The top should be nicely browned and the filling piping hot. Remove, allow to cool slightly and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus