Beetroot Tarte Tatin
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Source: Mimi Thorisson
- 3 beetroot, cooked, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 20 g butter
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200 g plain flour
- 125 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp cold water
For the shortcrust pastry (makes double; wrap and freeze the other half):
- Roll out and shape the pastry to the size of the top of a large ovenproof saucepan. Put aside (ideally in the fridge).
- In the saucepan, heat the brown sugar in the butter until it melts.
- Add the beetroots and onion, and fry on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until they start to caramelise.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and simmer until reduced.
- Cover the mix with the pastry. Place in the oven at 180°C for 25 minutes until the top is brown.
- Cover the saucepan with the serving plate upside-down, and flip to empty the tarte onto the plate. Rearrange any misplaced bits of beetroot as necessary.
Have you tried this recipe? Made any improvements? I'd love to hear about it! Add your comments here.comments powered by Disqus